Saturday, January 23, 2010

CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY



Not sure if you can recongize the two hooligans on the left.  One doesnt realize Brett Favre plays for the Vikings and is in the NFC Championship game, and the other looks like Old Mac on the Legends of the Hidden Temple.  Yes, we are finally here CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY where the Super Bowl is decided and the loser can can hold the claim that their coach was the coach in the Pro Bowl.  How did we get here?  God only knows.  If you would have told me the Jets would be in the AFC Title game after they lost to the Falcons and Rex Ryan declared the Season Over, I would have slapped you.  On the other hand, didnt we all think back in week 10 that the Colts, Saints/Vikings would be in the Super Bowl and the very least conference championship games?  So here we are.  Some may call me bitter.  Some may call me obnoxious.  Some might say I cant see the truth.  But here are my Picks for the first time since the Giants decided it was a good idea to take a dump on their fan base/organization.

Jets (+6) Over Colts

-If there was a god, he would know not to have the Jets play in Super Bowl 44 in Miami.  If there was a god, he would know how much shit I would get for this from Jets fans, not like I havent gotten stuff already.

-Jody: What channel is the Giants game on today
-Jody: Sheli playing 18 today??
-Jody: Sheli and Tommy C going out on the town tonight (INCREDIBLY G version)
-Colino: SHELI COOKING LIKE MARTHA STEWART TONIGHT WE JUST SAW HIM!!!  (Again, very watered down version).

Heres the deal, I was 11 the last time the Jets got this much coverage over the Giants.  The Giants usually own this town, but there are times like these where the Jets make the Giants irrelevant.  The Giants right now dont exsist in NYC, nobody cares that they hired Perry Fewell as their D-coordinator, just liked nobody cared last year when the Jets hired Rex Ryan.  But right now the Jets have proven everyone, even their most loyal fans, wrong by making it this far.  And to be honest, it is truely amazing, not too mention the karma that stinks around this game.  The Colts let the Jets in the playoffs, and now they will pay.  I buy it, I truely do.  But what I buy more is the Jets defense.  Now, dont give me "this Jets defense is the best defense since the Ravens" crap.  I would take the 2002 Bucs, the 2003-2004 Pats,  the Eagles defense 2003-2006 and the last 4 games of the 2007 Giants over this Jets defense.  With that being said, this Jets defense is playing out of its minds.  The fact they held the Chargers to 14 points last week was outstanding.  It proves a great defense beats a great offense.  So why are people not going to pick the Jets.  Two words: Peyton Manning.  Peyton will some day go down as a top 3 NFL QB and possibly better than Montana as the best ever.  He calls his own plays, and makes EVERYONE BETTER.  Even the defense is better because they have that comfort that Peyton Manning is on their side, not too mention that if they need a breather, he can go on a 6-7 min drive almost whenever he pleases. 

I love Rex Ryan, I love this Jets defense, I love Revis, who is becoming Deion 2.0 and BY FAR the best defender in the league, (dont EVER give me Charles Woodson, and Ed Reed is even getting old despite his great performence last week) love the O-line and love the running game.  But I HATE the rookie QB thing.  Ultimatly, against a very, VERY fast defense, Sanchez is going to have to make plays, and thats where it might bite the Jets in the ass.  This team is pretty much IDENTICAL to the 2008 Ravens, a Ravens team who shocked everyone by getting to the AFC Title game, but ultimatly fell short to the Steelers on the road.  I see too much of a connection to THAT team than the '05 Steelers or '07 Giants.  This game is going to be tough, rough, and physical.  In fact, if the Jets had ANYONE besides a rookie QB I would say right now the Jets are winning the Super Bowl right now, no if's ands or buts, MARK IT DOWN (no pun intended).  Frankly, if they beat the Colts tomorrow this Jets team will 100% win the Super Bowl.  But getting past Peyton might just be too tough for the Jets.  But think about this.  In the car after the Cuse-Rutgers game, I was talking to Fish, and I said "If the Jets beat the Chargers, this team is going to win the Super Bowl."  Put that next to the time I said after the Colts gave away that game vs the Jets, "With this strategy, the Colts will never even make the Super Bowl."  COMBINE THAT WITH the death of Woody Johnson's daughter Casey.  Its all too errie and everything has aligned for the Jets the last four weeks....And though they remind me more of the 2008 Ravens teams than those Cinderalla teams, I just feel like a stronger power is willing this team on.  After 41 years, Joe Beningo might be able to die in peace.

Jets 20 Colts 17


Saints (-3) Over Vikings

I am going to make this short and sweet.  I said this all along, and it cannot fail me now, despite that EXCELLENT performence against the Cowboys, Brett Favre is going to choke against the Saints.  The Saints have been the team of destiny ALL YEAR.  Starting 13-0, and captivating that city, the Saints HAVE to win this game for their fans.  Forget the suffering Vikings fans have gone through, the Saints have made the playoffs seven times in their history, will play in only their second conference title game, first one at home, and after Katrina they HAVE TO WIN THIS GAME.  Its simple, the karma thing can fail (Yankees 2001 after 9/11, Saints 2006 after Katrina, Loyola Marymount 1991 after Hank Gathers died, George Mason 2005 etc) but can it fail TWICE??  I cant see it.

Saints 34 Vikings 24


Jets vs Saints Super Bowl XLIV in Miami 2/7/10.

-Lew


1 comment:

  1. People know that I am indifferent about the Jets. I don't root for them, I don't root against them. But yesterday I saw the foundations of the start of what could be a promising future for the Jets. The fact that a rookie quarterback took his team that far into the playoffs says a lot. Sanchez is going to develop into a sound QB. He made some throws that had to be on the money to be completed, so he knows how to succeed and excel on a large stage.

    They gave everything they got, like the spanish guy rooting for the LA Galaxy in I Love You Man. I think next year the Jets will be better if they keep this core and it should propel them onto the brightlights stage of NY football. Peyton was just too good in the second half and you could slowly start to see the momentum swing as the Jets began to have some more 3-and-outs and the Colts started to sustain more efficient drives (Addai began to break it open in the 3rd quarter). Garcon was unbelieveable and Collie was huge. I had both on my fantasy team at some point this season- which lead to my substantial victory in the championship game.


    Favre was all over the ground yesterday, and I loved evey second of it. The Saints made him uncomfortable in the pocket, and it showed with the INT's he cost them. AP looked like Tiki Barber of yesteryear; there must have been some butter on the football or something. The Saints are the big play team that can throw all sorts of packages on you and are not afraid to take a shot on early downs.

    Now that New York football is officially over, I think it's fair to say that we can all anticipate pitchers and catchers report in a couple weeks.

    -Great Cuse recap. I'm pumped up to take on the hoyas tonight.

    ReplyDelete